Elisha Edward TOWNS
Elisha Edward TOWNS was born on 18 Dec 1852 in Georgia as the second child of Johnson Corbin or Corbett TOWNS and Catherine MATTHEWS. He had two siblings, namely: Jeremiah M “Jerry”, and Daniel Richard “Dan”. He also had 4 half-siblings from his father’s first marriage. He died on 23 Jun 1927 in Telfair, Georgia (Death Certificate: 2182-I), possibly buried in an unmarked grave in Bethlehem (Sandhill) Methodist Church Cemetery in Telfair County. When he was 19, he married Mary Jane WALKER, parents Unknown, on 04 Mar 1872 in Telfair, Georgia. When he was 51, he married Elizabeth J “Eliza” BROWNING, possibly the daughter of Green H BROWNING and Charlotte CLARK, on 01 May 1904 in Montgomery, Georgia.
Elisha Edward TOWNS lived in Telfair County all of his life and worked as a farmer. At age 10, in Jun 1860, he was living with his parents, Johnson & Catherine Towns, in the 337th District. At age 19, in Jul 1870, he lived in Jacksonville, Subdivision 120 with his father, Johnson Towns and worked as a laborer on the farm. At age 28, in Jun 1880, he lived in the 337th District. He was married to Mary and his occupation was a farmer. At age 47, in Jun 1900, he lived in Towns. He was married (his wife is not listed in the census record) and worked as a farmer, owning his farm free of mortgage. At about age 58/59, in May 1910, he lived in Militia District #1885. He was a General Farmer, owning his farm free of mortgage. He had been married to Eliza J for 6 years. At age 69, in Jun 1920, he lived in Milan, Dist #1344 in the household of his son, Arthur, and daughter-in-law, Lucy. Census records state he was married at this time, but his wife was not listed as living with him.
Elisha Edward TOWNS and Mary Jane WALKER had the following children:
1. Mary Catherine “Cattie” TOWNS was born in Mar 1873 in Georgia. She died after 20 Jun 1920.
2. Lydia Isabelle “Belle” TOWNS was born in Apr 1876 in Georgia. She died on 11 Feb 1945 in Telfair, Georgia.
3. James A TOWNS was born in 1877 in Georgia.
4. Sussie TOWNS was born in 1879 in Georgia.
5. Joseph Cecil “Hilton” TOWNS Sr was born about 1882 in Georgia. He married Alice GRAVES on 22 Nov 1906 in Coffee, Georgia, USA.
6. Sarah M “Sallie” TOWNS was born on 26 Dec 1882 in Georgia. She died on 23 May 1942.
7. Mary Jane “Janie” TOWNS was born in May 1886 in Telfair, Georgia. She died on 11 Dec 1960. She married Jimmy DYKES about 1920.
8. Alice Jane TOWNS was born on 26 May 1888 in Telfair, Georgia. She died on 23 Dec 1964 in Telfair, Georgia. She married William Marion SPIRES on 05 Jun 1904.
9. Arthur Jackson TOWNS was born on 08 Oct 1890 in Towns, Telfair County, Georgia, USA. He died on 12 Oct 1950 in McRae, Telfair County, Georgia USA. He married Lucy Mae SPIRES on 17 Dec 1911 in Telfair County, Georgia, USA.
10. Ella F TOWNS was born in Mar 1892 in Georgia.
Elisha Edward TOWNS and Elizabeth J “Eliza” BROWNING had the following children:
1. Ernest TOWNS was born about 1905 in Georgia. He died in 1968 (findagrave # 143769201 ????).
2. Carrie TOWNS was born about 1906 in Georgia.
3. Lollie TOWNS was born about 1909 in Georgia.
NOTES: The photograph of Elisha Towns is cropped from the original photo with Mary Jane Walker. This photograph was in the possession of my Aunt Pauline Towns, and she shared it with us the year before she died. My Aunt Pauline also told us that she believed he was buried in an unmarked grave at Sandhill Cemetery, along with his wife, Mary Jane. Her father, Arthur, knew the location and told her brother, James. James was going to show her the location, but he died before he had a chance to do so.
U.S. History Timeline ==> go here.